Which was more over-hyped, the iPhone or the new Harry Potter book? Who knows, but wouldn't it have been interesting if their paths would have crossed? How would this have played out if Steve Jobs would have been the mastermind behind Harry Potter and The Deathly Hallows? Here's what I think would have been different:
1. The book would have been available only at Apple stores and just one bookseller chain.
2. It would have a retail price of $499 and no discounts would be allowed.
3. It would be readable only on Apple's slick new iBook device, which when purchased in combination with the book brings the total price to $999...according to Apple loyalists, "it's a bargain at twice this price!"
4. Each new iBook would require activation through a third-party...said third-party can't promise anything faster than 72-hour turnaround on new activations.
5. The story's plot would only be good for about 6 months, after which time a completely new and improved plot would be released.
6. The lead character would lose the funny glasses, grow a gray beard and wear a black turtleneck...all the time. The source of all his magical powers is...his iPod, of course.
7. Despite having major buyer's remorse, you'd tell all your friends it was the most amazing book you've ever read, causing them to also pay way too much for a purchase they regret almost immediately.